Harry S. Truman was the President the year I was born. In the third month of my life the North Korean Communists invaded the Republic of Korea. Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy were the Presidents of my youth.
I grew up on a farm in central Indiana. My father and his father were tenant farmers. Both were Democrats. My mother was a registered nurse working at both hospitals and clinics. My mother’s father was a schoolteacher and principal. He was a Republican. Both my grandmothers were homemakers and followed my grandfathers’ political inclinations. I spent much of my time with my grandparents while my parents were working.
In my last two years of high school I participated in the vocational agricultural program working at a farm implement business as a mechanic.
In January 1969 I enlisted in the United States Air Force. I remained in the Air Force until December 1973.
I requested a discharge to allow me to return home to operate my father’s bulk fuel business because he had suffered a broken neck in an automobile accident. My father recovered from his accident, but the OPEC oil embargo and resultant government controls precluded expanding his business, so it was necessary I find other employment.
I found employment with the Department of the Army as a civilian employee warehouse worker at Fort Harrison, Indiana beginning in June 1974.
In May 1978 I resigned from the government to begin work as a supply technician/trainer with Bell Helicopter TEXTRON International at a site in Kermanshah, Iran. I departed Iran in August 1978 due to the pending revolution.
I returned to federal government employment in October 1978 with the Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Property Disposal Office Indianapolis as a warehouse worker/forklift operator. I remained with the Defense Logistics Agency through October 2011 serving at various sites and positions.
I retired with 41 years of Federal service in October 2011.
- Seed Corn de-tasseling (Pioneer Seed Company, Tipton, IN)
- Farm implement mechanic (Hull & Son, Tipton, IN)
- Inventory management specialist (US Air Force)
- Agent salesman (Standard Oil of Indiana)
- Warehouse worker/forklift operator (Department of Army)
- Supply technician/trainer (Bell Helicopter TEXTRON International)
- Warehouse worker/forklift operator (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Material sorter and classifier (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Material sorter and classifier foreman (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Supervisory property disposal specialist (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Property disposal specialist operations (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Sales Contracting Officer (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Administrative Officer (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Reserve coordinator (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Program analyst (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Command and control operations officer (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Continuity of operations planner (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Supervisory management and program analyst (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Regional customer support specialist (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Property disposal technical advisor (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Security Specialist (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Operations security program manager (Defense Logistics Agency)
- Basic training USAF, Lackland AFB, TX
- Technical training USAF, Lowery AFB, CO
- Taegu AB, Republic of Korea
- Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
- Elwood, IN
- Fort Harrison, IN
- Kermanshah, Iran
- Sondrestrom, Greenland
- Pusan, Republic of Korea Sagami, Japan
- Battle Creek, MI
- Livorno, Italy
- Yokosuka, Japan
- Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Incirlik, Turkey
- Aviano, Italy
- Baghdad, Iraq
- AAS Sales and Marketing Technology, Indiana Vocational Technical College
- BA Public Administration, Upper Iowa University